As far back as 1915 what is now called barangay Liwayway was known as Disinaba. The name was derived from the word senaba of the Ilongots dialect which means territory. Apparently, the fierce, nomadic Ilongots treated this forested area their territory.
Disinaba in those days was part of cordon, Isabela, some 15 kilometers away from the town, no other ethnic tribes dared to settle in the place because of the Ilongots.
However, in many of these fierce nomads left the place to roam other mountains. When by 1930 only few them are remained, a group of Ilocanos simultaneously and requested the Bureau of Lands to conduct a geodetic survey of the area so that the land so that the land may be partitioned and appropriated to the occupants as homesteads.
The small population grew and the residents felt a need to put up a school. They managed to appropriate the school site from out of the homestead of several residents.